December 13, 2007

The Christmas Spirit

So as most of you know we just moved on post. We live in a house kind of like a town home. So its smaller then our other house, but hey its free!! So I didn't have much to work with this year as far as hanging lights, but I did it. This is my favorite time of year. I remember all the Christmas's in Idaho when Dad used to hang the lights. I always thought we had the coolest decorations. We even had a tree out front one year that had green lights and when you went across the street you could see a money sign! He even handmade a snowman, painted it and all, to hang up outside. I loved the luminaries. I love all the little village houses he has collected over the years. My parents always had the best decorations inside and out at Christmastime. Then we moved to Arizona, where it was a little harder to enjoy Christmas without any snow. I remember asking my mom if we were going to have a palm tree for our Christmas tree. But my dad still made the best of it. He still hung all the lights and did everything the same. But it was probably better for him cuz he didn't have to deal with the snow and the cold putting them up in Arizona! Well then I moved to Alaska and I lived in a town called North Pole. So there was Christmas 365 days a year. All the street lights were candy canes. Every store you went into had some kind of Christmas theme or decoration. They even had the Santa Claus house..... Here are a few pics from the Santa house last year.....




So here I am, 25 years later, hanging lights outside for the first time. When I get home from work its already dark outside and the minute I get Madi out of the car she says PITTY (that means pretty to her!!!) MOMMY.... So those 2 little words make it worth it to me. She gets so excited to see those lights. She wants to point to every bulb and say pitty!! We haven't taken her to see Santa yet, but hopefully this weekend!



Also I found this poem that I would like to share. It tells the true meaning of Christmas. I don't remember what site I found it on, but it is worth the read.

Not Only Christmas Day



Lord, this is my prayer Not only on Christmas Day But until I see You face to face May I live my life this way: Just like the baby Jesus I ever hope to be, Resting in Your loving arms Trusting in Your sovereignty. And like the growing Christ child In wisdom daily learning, May I ever seek to know You With my mind and spirit yearning. Like the Son so faithful Let me follow in Your light, Meek and bold, humble and strong Not afraid to face the night. Nor cowardly to suffer And stand for truth alone, Knowing that Your kingdom Awaits my going home. Not afraid to sacrifice Though great may be the cost, Mindful how You rescued me From broken-hearted loss. Like my risen Savior The babe, the child, the Son, May my life forever speak Of who You are and all You've done. So while this world rejoices And celebrates Your birth, I treasure You, the greatest gift Unequaled in Your worth. I long to hear the same words That welcomed home Your Son, "Come, good and faithful servant," Your Master says, "Well done." And may heaven welcome others Who will join with me in praise Because I lived for Jesus Christ Not only Christmas Day -- Mary Fairchild


Merry Christmas to all.....

6 comments:

Melissa said...

You're right - you guys did have the coolest decorations :D
I love the lights you put up! My kids want us to hang up lights here, but we are renting and I'm afraid to put nails in the exterior of the house :S
And the poem was great!
Merry Christmas!!

The Sullengers said...

Merry Christmas Heather - hope you have a great holiday. Your lights look great! I love the holidays, but don't miss the snow that bad!

jd.janae. crew said...

Your family is so darling! Maddie looks so sweet! You are so lucky!
Merry Christmas Heather!

dustin and jessie said...

I guess you don't remember me coming in from putting up the house lights in Rexburg with my mustache full of icicles, or the choice words I would have to say when the cords were so frozen, I would cut them with the staple gun, then have to wire them back together, all the time freezing. I don't miss that at all. It is so nice putting up my lights in jeans and maybe a sweater. But I do miss having everyone around at Christmas and especially this year. Your house looks great and thanks for the many memories. Love You, Madison and Jason.

Gina Moody said...

I have lived in AZ all my life so I wouldn't know what to do in a white christmas! I guess that could all change though if we move someday! Bryce is from northern California just north of Sacremento. Most of his friends on our blog were hi friends from ASU. Who did you know from Rexburg?

Mandy Abbott said...

So PITTY!!! Good job on the lights!